- To serve as a National Institution for research, education and training in the area of post harvest processing of crops of wetlands and storm prone regions.
- To undertake basic, applied and adoptive research in post-production sector of cyclone/storm prone areas and wetlands, also including plantation, spices and other important crops.
- To act as a National Organization for information on post-production systems of mandated crops.
- To undertake transfer of technology, consultancy and analytical services for raw and processed agricultural commodities.
- To establish linkages with related processing industries and other academic as well as R&D institutions for achieving its goals effectively.